Sunday, 6 September 2015

Sunshine From Mexico

Fabiola from Mexico has a blog https://myheartofmexico.wordpress.com/ where she writes of the beauty, the tastes, the warmth and vibrancy, the all encompassing color and joy of life in Mexico.  Real Mexico. Beneath the touristy, sanitized veneer of expensive resorts.  Apart from all the frightening violence portrayed in the media.  Her goal is to acquaint us with what it really means to live in her beautiful country.

 Even sun-starved as I am, I have never been tempted to go to the resorts so popular in Mexico, but "the heart of Mexico", this indescribable something, this something wilder than I am familiar with, something authentic, now that is something my restless soul can get a feel for.

Two of my favorite books are set in Mexico.  The Power and the Glory and The Lacuna.  They sparked my interest intensely.  So I was drawn in by Fabiola's writing from the start.  In her writing, I can see myself there.  Somewhere in the heart and heat of Mexico.  Maybe one day I will go there and invite myself to stay but in the meantime, I would really like to say gracias to Fabiola for thinking of me when it came to the Sunshine Award!

These are the rules:
Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to them.
List the rules and put the picture on your blog.
Answer the questions.
Nominate other bloggers and notify them.
Come up with questions for them.

Fabiola's questions for me are:

Why did you start your blog?

I have always written.  But of course more privately than blogging.  Blogging is like a journal but for an audience. :)  I made the switch from private scribbling to public blogging in 2007 when my husband and I embarked on our first adoption.  It was a way for me to process the enormity of my emotions and the intensity of what we were experiencing then.

How do you find inspiration for your posts?
 
I just write and see what comes out. :)

What do you like most about blogging?

Writing.  And the incredible connections formed with like-minded people I would otherwise not have had the honor of knowing

What is your biggest challenge as a blogger?

Good question.  I don't know.  Figuring out the technical things...I am not very tech savvy.

What motivates you to keep blogging?

 I want to keep writing and I could do that without blogging but at the same time, I enjoy interaction and the sharpening of skills that interacting with other writers can provide.

What do you do in your free time?

Many things.:)  I love to read, go on long walks, sit in the sunshine, go for coffee with friends, relax at home with my family, travel.

Who is the most important person in your life?

My husband.

What is number one on your bucket list?

I have so many things on my list but I suppose at the moment my number one thing is to travel with my family back to Sri Lanka in the next three years.  I want my oldest son to experience it for the first time (in his conscious memory) as an innocent, eager child, whose eyes are truly open to the beauty and wonder there, before a more adult mindset sets in and he perhaps would travel back with a mind more confused by all the great questions adoption raises in a person.  I want him to experience it with joy so that his associations with it are joyful and positive.

What would a perfect day be for you?

A day with no expectations from anyone else.

What is a motto or quote you live by?

I try to live by Mother Teresa's idea that we can not all do great things but we can do small things with great love.  This philosophy means that the smallest task becomes of the utmost importance when done with a loving heart...washing dishes, changing a diaper, buying groceries.  It all matters intensely the spirit with which we do things.  At the same time, large deeds are meaningless without love.  Success in any area means nothing if it was not achieved with love.  So I try to live by this idea of the greatness of small acts but I rarely succeed.

What will you do when your blog makes it big?

I don't know. :)  I hope to write all my life but I am not super concerned about my blog making it big.:)

Now I would like to nominate four other bloggers. :)

Sheena at http://www.journeyofaswazi.com/
Indu at http://jeeteraho.blogspot.no/
Lidia at http://mla-crownofglory.blogspot.no/
Alicia at http://barefooties.blogspot.no/

My questions for you if you would like to answer them are:

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
Where in the world are you most drawn to?
What characteristic in others do you like most?
What characteristic in others do you like least?
What area in your own life are you seeking to grow in?
Do you have a daily routine?  
Since this is a sunshine award, what things bring light and sunshine into your day? :)

                                                    
                       

10 comments:

  1. I loved your post and your answers :) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabiola gave you some great questions and you answered in kind. I also especially liked your description of her world. Glad to get more insight into your motivations and expectations. Wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Colleen,and many thanks for nominating me.I shall try to do justice to your gesture,though I am highly tech-challenged.
    And I just loved your plans about your son visiting his birth place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!:) Don't worry, I am tech-challenged as well!! I manage but barely.:)

      Delete
  4. Thank you so so much for the nomination Colleen. I loved reading your post, I can connect with so many of your answers. Here goes, I'll give it a good go :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, I look forward to reading them!:)

      Delete
  5. Lovely to read such inspiring answers and to find out a little about you too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! I enjoy reading your comments!